- Yield: 4-6
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8h 00 min
Slow Cooker Shredded Mexican Beef Bowls
A beef dish perfect for weekly meals served with rice, bean and peppers.
Looking for a dish that you can serve once every week wherein you wont get tired of? Then you are in luck! This beef dish cooked in the slow cooker is the perfect dish for you.
I love how this dish is served as it really gives that Mexican feel. You can even have this as a main dish for a Mexican party. It is served best with rice but you can also serve this with your nachos or chips. Either ways the beef is just to die for and you will definitely not get tired of it.
Check out the recipe below.
- For the shredded beef
- beef rump roast - 2.5-3 pound
- taco seasoning packet - 1.3 ounces
- tomato paste - 3 ounces
- beef broth - 1 cup
- cornstarch *substitute arrowroot or tapioca starch if desired - 1 tablespoon
- For the rice
- white rice - 1 cup
- water - 2 cups
- canned black beans, rinsed and drained - 15 ounces
- chopped cilantro - 1/4 cup
- For the plantains
- plantain - 1 ripe
- coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
- kosher salt to taste
- For the peppers
- green bell pepper, thinly sliced - 1
- red bell pepper, thinly sliced - 1
For the shredded beef:
- Place the beef in the slow cooker.
- Whisk the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over the beef.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (works well overnight).
- Remove beef from the slow cooker, shred using two forks, place the beef back into the bowl of the slow cooker and toss with the sauce.
For the rice:
- Place the rice and water together in a medium sauce pot over high heat. Once boiling, stir and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until all liquid is absorbed by the rice.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl, add the rice and cilantro and stir to combine.
For the plantains:
- Slice the plantain on the diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Place coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add plantain slices and fry until golden brown on each side.
- Season liberally with kosher salt. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Season to taste with more salt.
To assemble the bowls:
- Place an equal amount of rice, beef, plantains and peppers in meal prep bowls.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and sprig of cilantro.
- Keep refrigerated until eating during the week.
Don’t forget to serve it with rice as it goes best with it. And You can add more aside from the beans and peppers. Be a little creative and add more veggies if you wish.
Happy slow cooking!
A huge thank you to runningtothekitchen.com for this amazing recipe.