- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 7h 00 min
A Comforting Gingery Tofu Slow Cooker Soup
A healthy homey dish you can enjoy almost every night after work.
This recipe is definitely one of those recipes I love having at the end of a very long tiring day. I love the ginger flavor that soothes my throat and the tofu that makes my tummy full.
This is a great healthy slow cooker option if you are u to something warm, delicious and hearty at the same time. It can also be great for lunch if you are staying home the whole day.
Check out the recipe below.
- For the ginger broth
- fresh shiitake mushrooms, scrubbed - 3 1/2 ounces
- medium lemon - 1
- water - 8 cups (2 quarts)
- medium carrot, cut crosswise into 3 pieces - 1
- fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices - 1 (1-inch)
- medium scallions, cut crosswise into 3 pieces - 1
- kosher salt - 1 tablespoon
- ground turmeric - 1/8 teaspoon
- For the soup
- baby bok choy, sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 1 1/2 cups) - 3 1/2 ounces
- firm tofu, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch cubes - 1 pound
- dry soba noodles - 4 ounces
- Options for serving: thinly sliced scallions, fresh cilantro leaves
- Make the broth: Trim the stems from the mushrooms, then place the stems in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Slice the mushroom tops 1/4-inch thick and refrigerate.
- Peel the lemon with vegetable peeler. Use a sharp knife to remove any bitter white pith from the yellow peel.
- Add the lemon peel to the slow cooker.
- Slice the lemon into wedges and refrigerate.
- Add the water, carrot, ginger, scallions, salt, and turmeric to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on the LOW setting for 6 to 7 hours. Use a slotted spoon to remove and discard the cooked vegetables.
- Add the reserved shiitake tops and bok choy to the broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tofu and soba noodles and stir gently to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the tofu is warmed and the noodles are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Serve with thinly sliced scallions, cilantro, and the reserved lemon wedges.
Add this to your list of great slow cooked soup recipes and I am sure you will not regret trying it out and keeping the recipe. Let me know how it turned it out for you. Leave a comment below and rate the recipe as well.
Happy slow cooking!
A very big thank you to thekitchn.com for this great recipe.