- Yield: 6
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 2h 00 min
Slow Cooker Strawberry Mojito Shortcakes
Mojitos in a dessert that you will not regret trying.
Ok, it may seem that I am sharing a number of alcohol-based dishes. Well, not because I wanna get you all intoxicated but it is just to add a little twist to the usual dishes we serve.
Now this slow cooker shortcakes are a must try. They taste as great as they look, especially when you put them in a mason jar for serving. You can definitely get a taste of the mojito which perfectly compliments the shortcake recipe.
Check out the recipe below.
[headline margintop="" marginbottom="30" clearfix="1" ]Slow Cooker Strawberry Mojito Shortcakes[/headline]
- Nonstick cooking spray
- all-purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
- sugar - 1/4 cup
- baking powder - 1 teaspoon
- salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda - 1/4 teaspoon
- butter, cut up - 1/3 cup
- buttermilk or sour milk* - 1 cup
- egg, lightly beaten - 1
- sliced strawberries - 2 cups
- sugar - 3 tablespoons
- rum - 1 - 2 tablespoons
- snipped fresh mint - 1 - 2 tablespoons
- lime zest - 1 teaspoon
- whipping cream - 1/2 cup
- sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Lightly coat six half-pint straight-sided canning jars with cooking spray. In a bowl combine the next five ingredients (through baking soda).
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; make a well in the center.
- In a bowl combine buttermilk and egg. Add the buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon dough into prepared jars, filing about one-third full. Cover jars tightly with greased foil. Place jars into a 6-quart oval slow cooker. Pour 1 cup water around jars.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in centers of shortcakes comes out clean. Remove from slow cooker; cool, uncovered, on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl combine strawberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, and the rum. Crush some of the strawberries. Stir in mint and lime zest. Cover and chill up to 2 hours. In a bowl beat whipping cream and 1 tablespoon of sugar until soft peaks form.
- Top shortcakes with strawberry mixture and sweetened whipped cream. Sprinkle with additional lime zest and/or small mint sprigs.
*Notes: To make sour milk, pour 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice into a 1-cup glass measure. Add milk to make 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes.
I don’t really remember how many alcohol-based recipes I have shared already but there will be more coming. So watch out for it and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Happy slow cooking!
A very big thank you to bhg.com for this recipe.