- Yield: 12
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6h 00 min
Slow Cooker Barbacoa Short Rib Tacos
A mouthwatering go-to-recipe for regular and special days.
Thinking of what to serve that will be a perfect blend of flavors plus won’t be too time consuming? Here is one perfect example of flavor, tenderness, spice and ease.
Tacos are definitely my go-to-recipes if I am preparing for myself only or if I have guests around or even for my family on a lazy day. The meat is so tender that it literally falls of the bone and it is full of Barbacao flavor.
Check out the recipe below.
[headline margintop="" marginbottom="30" clearfix="1" ]Slow Cooker Barbacoa Short Rib Tacos[/headline]
- vegetable oil - 1 tablespoon
- beef short ribs (fat trimmed) - 6 pounds | 3kg
- chiptole peppers in adobo sauce , chopped (plus the adobo sauce) - 4
- white onion , finely chopped - 1
- minced garlic (or 4 cloves garlic, minced) - 1 tablespoon
- barbecue sauce - 1/3 cup
- fresh lime juice - 1/4 cup
- apple cider vinegar - 2 tablespoons
- bay leaves - 2
- ground cumin - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1 tablespoon
- beef broth / stock - 1/2 cup
- Warm corn tortillas
- Optional Fillings:
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (or parsley if you don't like cilantro) - 1/2 cup
- onion , diced - 1/2
- avocados , sliced - 2
- Sour cream (or Mexican Crema)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Trim as much visible fat as possible from each rib (optional but helps lessen the fat content).
- Brown the ribs in batches until browned on both sides (about 3-4 minutes each side, per batch).
- Transfer the browned ribs to a 6 litre slow cooker.
- In a large jug, combine the chipotles, chipotle sauce, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, lime juice, vinegar, bay leaves, cumin, salt, and broth together.
- Whisk well and pour over the ribs. Cover and cook for 6 hours on high or 10-12 hours on low, until the meat is falling off the bone. Allow the ribs to cool slightly in the sauce.
- Remove the ribs from the sauce. Remove any excess fat from the ribs; discard the bones and shred the meat.
- Using a metal spoon, skim the fat from the surface of the sauce in the slow cooker and discard.
- Mix the sauce into the meat and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spoon the meat and sauce into warm corn tortillas and serve with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, the avocado slices and sour cream (or Crema).
For Oven Method:
Once browned, place ribs in 2 large aluminium lined baking pan (or heavy based casserole pot). In a large jug, combine the chipotles, chipotle sauce, onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, lime juice, vinegar, bay leaves, cumin, salt, and broth together; cover baking pan and slow cook in the oven at 175°C | 350°F for 4 hours or until falling off the bone.
For Pressure Cooker:
Brown ribs in the cooker pot in batches until all browned. Transfer to a plate. Add the peppers, onion and garlic, and saute until onion is transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients (from barbecue sauce to broth), mix them well, then add the ribs back to the cooker pot. Cover and lock lid in place. Select High Pressure (or Meat / Poultry setting) and 50 minutes cook time. When cook time is complete, do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure (or follow your pressure cooker manufacturers instructions).
And if you love avocados then you will love this recipe as much as I do. You can serve this with sour cream, plain yogurt, tomatoes or anything to your liking.
Happy slow cooking!
A very big thank you cafedelites.com for this delicious recipe.