- Yield: 3-4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6h 00 min
Healthy And Yummy Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls [VIDEO]
An absolute favorite not only during parties but even on regular days with the fab fam.
If you are looking for something you can just prepare in 5 minutes and leave to cook for while you get yourself busy with something else, then this recipe is one of those that you should try!
It is not only a favorite of mine because of the quick preparation but also because it is super delish and extra healthy. I always consider burritos healthy especially given the right ingredients. And the ingredients for this recipe is just spot on for a great balanced diet. I have even encouraged my kids to eat this dish despite the spice. But then again, I always make sure that the spice or chili is just right for them to be able to manage it.
Check out the recipe below.
[headline margintop="" marginbottom="30" clearfix="1" ]Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls[/headline]
- boneless skinless chicken breasts, chicken thighs, or a mix - 1 to 1 1/2 pounds
- diced tomatoes - 1 14.5-ounce can
- chicken stock, divided, plus more if needed - 1 cup
- chili powder - 2 teaspoons
- salt - 2 teaspoons
- cumin - 1 teaspoon
- brown rice - 1 cup
- black beans, drained and rinsed - 1 15-ounce can
- frozen corn - 1 cup
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado, salsa, hot sauce, diced green onions, shredded lettuce
- Combine the chicken breasts, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of chicken stock, chili powder, salt, and cumin in the bowl of a 2 1/2- to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered, and add additional stock if needed. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the lid and add the rice, black beans, frozen corn, and the remaining chicken broth. Replace the lid and continue cooking on low for another 3 to 4 hours. Check the rice periodically in the last hour of cooking, stirring once or twice to make sure the rice cooks evenly and adding more chicken broth if the mixture seems dry. Cooking is done when the rice is tender — if the rice is done while there is still liquid left in the slow cooker, remove the lid and cook on high to let the liquid evaporate.
→ Total cooking time from start to finish is 6 to 8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces. You can do this either in the slow cooker itself and then mix it into the rice, or you can transfer the chicken to a cutting board if you prefer to keep it separate. Taste the burrito mix and stir in more salt or other seasonings to taste.
Serve burrito bowls with a selection of toppings. The burrito mixture will keep for 1 week refrigerated or for 3 months in the freezer. This recipe makes about 7 total cups of burrito mix.
Cooking the rice separately: If you won't be home to add the rice to the slow cooker, you can skip this step and cook it separately on the stovetop just before serving. To modify the recipe, combine the chicken, diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of stock, and spices in the slow cooker and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. Add the black beans and corn, and cook for another 1/2 hour, or until warmed through, while you're cooking the rice (omit the remaining chicken stock).
Vegetarian burrito bowls: Combine the diced tomatoes, 1 cup of vegetable stock, spices, rice, black beans, and corn in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Stir once or twice toward the end of cooking to make sure the rice is cooking evenly.
Beyond burrito bowls: Besides burrito bowls, you can use this filling to make regular tortilla-wrapped burritos or freezer burritos.
Aside for the super tender bits of shredded chicken, this recipe is full of black beans, corn and of course chili-spiced brown rice. It does not only sound healthy, it is truly healthy. So what are you waiting for, start cooking and tell me what you think.
Watch the full video below.