- Yield: Family
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6h 00 min
Greek Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
A traditional gyro meat recipe made more delicious using a slow cooker!
Let’s take a trip to Greece this time with this fabulous traditional Greek gyro recipe. If you are fond of Greek dishes then you will love this slow cooker version of gyros with Tzatziki sauce.
I personally am crazy about Tzatziki sauce. This is actually the reason I tried the recipe out in the first place. The gyros dish was just second to it. It also gives our weekly menu more variety. I love mixing up dishes from different regions of the world. And this recipe has become one of our favorites.
Check out the recipe below.
Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat - 3 pounds
- large onion, thinly sliced - 1
- garlic cloves, minced - 9
- olive oil - 3 tablespoons
- dried oregano - 1 tablespoon
- allspice - 3/4 teaspoon
- lemon pepper seasoning - 1 tablespoon
- large lemon, juiced - 1
- red wine vinegar - 1/4 cup
- For Tzatziki Sauce
- plain Greek yogurt - 1 cup
- diced cucumber, seeded and diced into tiny pieces - 1 cup
- dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill - 1 tablespoon
- salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- garlic clove, minced - 1
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place chicken in bottom of 6-Quart Slow Cooker.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the onion, garlic, olive oil, oregano, allspice and lemon pepper. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds.
- Add in the lemon juice and the red wine vinegar.
- Pour contents over the top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours or on MEDIUM for 4 hours.
- Remove lid. Using tongs remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken and place back into the slow cooker.
- Serve the chicken and onions on the top of pita bread with Tzatziki sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes.
For Tzatziki Sauce
- Combine yogurt, cucumber, dill, salt and garlic in medium bowl. Stir until creamy and combined.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with gyros.
The kids enjoy the tender meat and the Tzatziki sauce as much as I do. Since my kids are big yogurt eaters, the Tzatziki sauce was not really difficult for them to enjoy. And I’m sure you will want to have this for your weekly menu after trying it. So get started and experience a great Greek experience in your very own home.
A very big thank you to allfreeslowcookerrecipes.com for this awesome dish!
Credits to sixsistersstuff.com and thecomfortofcooking.com for the amazing images.